Monday, June 29, 2009

About Freedom


In a lesson entitled "Freedom is Free," Mike taught on Galatians 5:1-15 Sunday morning. He showed how the Judaizers (those so called believers that maintained that grace might be received through the Law) were teaching a different Gospel than that originally brought to the Galatians by Paul. More specifically, the Galatian church thought that circumcision might benefit their faith. Paul expresses in verse 3 that an attempt to keep part of the Law obligates a person to keep the whole Law and separates a soul from Christ (v. 4.) As we all should know, it is impossible to keep all the Law, and, even if we could, why would we want to separate ourselves from Christ?

This discussion segued into a living example of a life set free from works...me. I shared with the class how the Lord brought me from a restricted life justified by works into a life set free by grace. Prior to two years ago, my self-worth was based on doing right and being right. The key is to notice that I was actually serving myself and my pride. Unfortunately, this pattern of living is fruitless and leads to guilt and depression, as it did for me.

"For I joyfully concur with the law of God in the inner man, but I see a different law in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind, and making me a prisoner of the law of sin which is in my members. Wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from the body of this death?" Romans 7:22-24

Submitting my life to Christ has meant giving up control in the most wonderful way. In turn, I have received true freedom. Freedom from guilt. Freedom to be wrong. Freedom to submit to my husband. Freedom to share my faith. Freedom to guard my words. Freedom to repent and live forgiven! It is no longer about me, but Christ living in me.

"Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!" Romans 7:25

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for these words, Hope. I have been reminded today of my FREEDOM in Christ. It almost takes my breath away!

    ReplyDelete

Click here to view this photo book larger

Visit Shutterfly.com to create your own personalized photobook.